Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cheap and Safe Produce Cleaner

About 10 years ago I started seeing commercial food cleaners in the produce section. As with all my cleaning products I use, I thought, how is that safe? Really, a chemical to "clean" my food so I can ingest it? Then I thought, why does my food need to be so clean to eat...well that dug into another path and resulted in my switching to organic if the budget could afford it.

So, I dug through my many books and found solution after solution. Some were complicated and some were not....some where a pain to even attempt but I tried them all and found a couple I actually liked but the one I picked happened to be the simplest.

Then about 3 years ago I was reading a Cook's Illustrated article, as I love America's Test Kitchen, and they tested a few options and turns out a very similar solution to my own killed 98% of all bacteria on fruits and veggies!

So what is it? The answer of course is vinegar! It's cheap, natural and kills 99.9% of all bacteria! It is the universal cleaner.

Personally, as someone who juices regularly, the more important it is to me to make sure what I'm drinking in large amounts is "clean". I recommend everyone try it and you might be amazed what you see come off those leafy greens that you think are getting clean with some basic water :)

To wash soft fruits or something quickly like grapes, cherries, plums, peaches etc...
Spray with 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water, let sit anywhere from 2 minutes to 10, rinse and you're done.

To wash leafy greens, beets, carrots, celery, bell peppers, apples, pears, really anything soakable...
Fill a bowl or clean kitchen sink with 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Let sit about  2 - 10 minutes and rinse and you're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment